The City of Goa was a pearl on the West coast of India, long time before the Portuguese arrived.
The Bene Isralies had most likely spread all over the Konkan Belt, and had 50 years before the arrival of the Portuguese been an important part of the Moslem Bijarpur dynasty.
In 1480 A.D, the City of Goa became the Malabar capital of the Sultan of Bijapur. This was a place where Jewish and Persian (Parsi) merchant came through the ancient trade route from the Gulf.
At its peak Ela (Old Goa) was on the size of Paris and London of its time. The population of Ela was roughly 200,000 by 1543 A.D.
In 1560 A.D, the Inquisition became the beginning of the downfall of this world class city. Just before the end of the Goa Inquisition in 1812, The City of Goa was reduced to a village of ruble.
Malaria and cholera epidemics ravaged the city in the 17th century and it was largely abandoned only having a remaining population of 1,500 in 1775. The viceroy then moved the palace of Adil Shah to Panaji. In 1835 after religious suppression the city was virtually deserted.